Omdahl, Ruth Elna Oscaria (Larson) (1912-2004)

Ruth E. Omdahl, 92, of Thief River Falls, MN died on Tuesday, September 7, 2004 at Northwest Medical Center, CNC Unit, Thief River Falls, MN.

Ruth Elna Oscaria Larson was born on May 28, 1912 in Viking, MN to Hartwig G. and Alma (Jacobson) Larson. She grew up in Viking and attended school until the eight grade there. She then took the train back and forth from Warren to attend high school. She graduated from Warren High School in 1930.

She married Olaf Bernard Omdahl on November 2, 1930 in Viking, MN. They made their home on a farm near Warren, for a time. They then operated the Omdahl Grocery Store in Warren for a few years. They next lived in Oregon for a year before moving back to Minnesota where they settled in Silver Lake. They then managed the Farmer’s Lake Produce where Ruth helped with the bookwork. The next stage of life took them to Minneapolis for a time before moving back to Warren again. Ruth and Olaf spent many winters of their retirement years in Arizona. Olaf died in 1985. After her husbands death Ruth moved to Thief River Falls to be closer to her family. Ruth lived at Riverside Terrace and recently at Valley Home.

Ruth is a member of Zion Lutheran Church in Thief River Falls and was an active quilter with the quilting guild. She also enjoys crossword puzzles, reading, and playing cards. Ruth loved visiting with her family and friends, especially her grandchildren.

She is survived by two sons: Richard, Clovis, New Mexico, Don (Connie), Thief River Falls, MN; one daughter, Meridel (Bob) Smisek, Cambridge, MN; 15 grandchildren, 22 great grandchildren, two sisters: Ruby Hall, Albany, OR; Clarice Olson, Everett, WA; two brothers: Roy Larson, Albany, OR, Stanley (Delores) Larson, Albany, OR; and many nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.

She was preceded in death by her parents, husband Olaf, son, James, granddaughter Brynn Hartman, grandson, Ron Omdahl, two sisters: Lily Larson and Viola Husby and one brother, George Larson.

[Interred Greenwood cemetery]

Transcribed by: Cheryl Srnsky